Sunday, May 16, 2010

Over halfway done with training!

It seems like so much has happened since I last wrote- but I can't seem to remember anything interesting to say now! I spent most of last week shadowing a current volunteer at her site so as to get a better idea of service here. Laura's village is about 150km from where I'm training and we got lucky with transportation so it only took us about 3 hours. Her village is very small. The Junior Secondary School where she works is a boarding school and only about 1/4 of the students are from her village.

The week was nice and relazing: we read a lot, went running everyday, explored the village and cooked American food. Yum yum. Laura has to travel that 150km everytime she needs to grocery shop so she has gotten very good at stocking up and being prepared!

I came back to Molepolole for another week of training. Some days fly by and others seem to be 100 hours long. Next Saturday is site placement annoucements and we are all counting down the days in anticipation. I'm just hoping for electricity! Speaking of electricity- or rather things that are powered by electricity- I got my netbook out of storage last week and...it doesn't turn on. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the battery; the screen lights up and then nothing happens. I like to think that it's just testing my coping mechanisms: how well can I handle this curveball? So far so good- just no hope for Skyping in the near future!

Otherwise...things are good!

3 comments:

  1. nic,

    i'm fascinated, thx for finding the time to share with all of us back home...fingers crossed for your assignment this weekend! --T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bump. This is such an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing , Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get your Skype info! Unless you still can't use it...

    ReplyDelete