Thursday, April 22, 2010

Botswana: safe and sound

Hi All! I wrote this in my notebook on 4/17/10 and this is the first time I've been online to post it.

It has only been one week, but it feels like so much longer. ALthough things do not feel normal yet, I am surprised how well I seem to be adjusting. Let me quickly summarize the events in the past week and I will try to pick out some highlights.

THere is nothing like a long, boring travel schedule to bring people together. Yahtzee at JFK. Apples to Apples in Johannesburg. Many movies and laps around the plane to stay sane. Monday evening we arrived in Gaborone (ha-bor-on-e) and at our hotel- the Big 5 Lodge. Very surreal. Palm trees, tiki huts, pool. We had three days there- classes on Setswana (national language), intro to PC sessions, dinner with the ambassador. Swam in the pool as much as possible- as I probably won't see one again for a long while. Matching ceremony on Friday- to be matched with host family. My family's name is Ramakhati. My setswana name is Neo (nay-oh) Ramakhati (ra-ma-cot-i) which means gift. I am now staying with my mother (Tiny), father (whose name i don't know) sister (Lindoh, 21) and brother (Modiri, 17). I think there are 3 or 4 more siblings, but they don't live here.
So here is in Molepolole where I'll have pre-service training for the next 8.5 weeks. We will be at school from 8-5 everyday. Lots more setswana (which is great because only my host sister speaks English well) and also some cultural and job training sessions.

There are 57 PCV that started with me and we all get a long fairly well. I havea few in my neighborhood who I will be able to walk to school with. We have cell phones as well so there is at least the allusion that we aren't alone.

I am really very happy here and am surprised that i seem to be handling everything so well. So far I should say. I might still be in culture shock.

Donkeys and goats roaming around. No indoor plumbing at my house. Latrine outside. Bucket bathing in my bedroom (got a demonstration tonight from my sister). Beef, cabbage and doughy bread stuff for dinner. Worried about what I can make them for dinner- they want me to cook something. Tomorrow I will wash my clothes and want to explore the neighborhood a little more. Hot during the day but cool in the mornings and evenings. Have realized how hard things are to convey...

Maybe some day I can upload pictures but for now imagine red dirt, blue blue skies, and barking dogs lulling me to sleep.

Love you all. Miss you all. Thinking of you.

And if you want to call or text me...(it's free for me!)
011-267-7262-7853

1 comment:

  1. You're doing a great job conveying! Keep giving us those little nuggets...every sound, smell, and thought helps us get it!

    Sounds like you're getting along well. You're going to feel like you're at home so soon...

    ReplyDelete