Monday, October 25, 2010

Food!

A lovely dinner I prepared for myself one night. The lump of grayish stuff is called Bogobe. It's made with sorghum and you make it like you'd make grits or polenta, but you just cook it longer. You eat it with your fingers and sort of dip/pick up the other foods with it. The accompanying food is cooked cabbage and a carrot/potato/onion/soy protein mix. Yum- sort of. This was our meal during the Independence Day celebration at Bokaa Dam. We braai-ed (past tense of braai or bbq or grilled) lots of meat (since it is not a meal with out meat). There is a giant piece of beef (as you can probably see) some potato salad (or cooked potatoes, cans of green peas and lots of mayo), a lump of palache (similar to the bogobe above except made from corn meal) and a piece of chicken.

This was my Sunday afternoon meal two weekends ago. Palache and meat (including intestines). We cooked in a large black caldron-like pot outside. Cooked intestines are called serobe and everyone loves them. Except me.


This is my mix of RI and Botswana food: johnny cakes with cabbage! We had johnny cakes (corn meal pancakes) with syrup growing up (which I have done a few times here too!) but I'm eating them more with vegetables these days. I've got some cooked cabbage and baked beans in tomato sauce here.


This was my huge plate of food at the graduation party of sorts we had for some Form 3s. We ran out of rice and chicken, so my plate consists of huge helpings of beet salad, potato salad, coleslaw and beef stew.
Also, people don't drink until they are finished with their meals because they say it will fill them up and they won't be able to finish their plate. I still couldn't finish my plate, but the students at my table were happy to finish it for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment