Monday, October 25, 2010

A little bit of Batswana culture


This is my at a bridal shower a few weeks ago. Traditionally, women (and especially married women) wear these shawls to cover their shoulders and scarfs to cover their hair.

There is obviously a lot I don't know about wedding traditions here, but one thing I do know is that before the wedding the married women in the family go 'collect' the bride from her family's house (wearing these shawls and such) and talk to her about what it is like to be a wife, her wifely duties, etc etc. So we did a little make-shift talk like this at the bridal shower and I was put on the spot to provide wifely wisdom to the bride. I didn't have any.




These pictures are from months ago now, but they show you what some traditional dancing looks like. Most of the dancing here involves singing, clapping and stomping, with no instraments.

1 comment: